Monday, February 21, 2011

Everybody's Got One

Several people I know have recently started blogs, in which they chronicle the day-to-day events of their lives. I find these to be, for the most part, fascinating. Maybe I'll do that here, too; I'm not sure yet. I also find other things fascinating. For instance, that the official motto of the tiny European country of Luxembourg goes something like this: "Mir wëlle bleiwe wat mir sinn", which roughly translates: "We want to remain what we are" - can't argue with that. Or, for example, that Steven Seagal still gets paid to be an actor, when he never possessed any natural ability to act in the first place, and has since become too old and too portly to be the martial arts "action hero" that he inexplicably was for so many years in so many lame films. Or, to wit, that there are at least two other ways to express the sentiment "for instance"as evidenced by the preceding sentence and this one. I also find it fascinating that – in the English language alone – there are four different ways to express the plural of the word "hyena" – which are as follows: hyenas, hyena, hyenae, and hyenæ. That last one really gets me! How do you even type the letter "æ"? I'm clueless! I said all that to say all this: everyone else seems to have a blog now, so why not me? I'm realistic enough to realize that most people won't be reading this, for the sheer fact that a large number of people in the world don't possess or have access to a personal computer. Or electricity. Or clean water. But that's neither here nor there. Whether you want to read this blog or not, that's up to you. I can't guarantee consistent quality every time I post, although I probably won't misspell anything. I can't even guarantee that what I write will be entertaining, relevant, or entirely true (you know what they say about believing everything you read on the Internet). But I'll do my best with the skill set with which I've been blessed – or cursed. And you can bless or curse me in return. Doesn't matter either way.

3 comments:

  1. How did you make that ae thing on your keyboard? Baffling! And I'm already a fan of your blog just based on the name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A bloggy blog from Jasonpants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suber: How do you type æ? I still don't know. I consulted my good friends, Copy and Paste, though, and they did not let me down. "The Plural of Hyena" was not my first, second, or even third choice, but the other ones were already taken by other bloggers, and I didn't want to be the same as someone else, even if the idea did come to me independently. But now that I see it in print, I like it a lot myself. Thanks for following me!

    Rudypants: I'll do my best to bloggy blog just as bloggily as I can blog. If my blog ever blogcomes lackblogster or blogoring, please blog me know and I'll try to blogprove it.

    ReplyDelete