Tuesday, January 10, 2012

War And Peace, Water Leaks, And Wonderful Eats

It's a weird life sometimes. I don't know how to qualify that statement. It just is, that's all.

I started reading War And Peace last night at the gym (yes, we've started working out again – New Year's resolutions and all that jazz), fully expecting to drudge my way through it much like I did 20 years ago when I tried to read it then. So far, I have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe I'm smarter now than I was then (let's hope so!), maybe I've read enough works of literature in the ensuing years that I simply "get it" more, or maybe I'm simply reading a better translation on the Kindle. I just know that 1,000+ locations (out of 29,827), or 3%, into it, I'm actually enjoying it.

I spent my lunch break listening to two plumbers talk shop and pretended to understand them. Then found out that our really expensive plumbing problem – a leak somewhere between the shutoff valve and the water meter – may end up being a little more expensive – but will likely be a better, more permanent fix. So, bad news and good news all in one on that front.

After the gym tonight (yes, we went back!), my wonderful wife – who was every bit as hot, sweaty, achy, and tired as I was – made us an excellent dinner of bowtie pasta with chicken sausage, peppers, onions, fire-roasted tomatoes, and spinach. It was delicious! A great way to cap off a, well, weird day.

No comments:

Post a Comment