Friday, June 8, 2012

Words I REALLY Wish I Wrote: My Favorite Owl City Lyrics

I'm not ashamed to admit that Owl City (aka Adam Young) is one of my favorite musicians. I could listen to his deceptively simple tunes and oh-so-clever lyrics all day long and not get tired of them. And sometimes I do. (Like today, for instance.)

While it's true that many of Owl City's songs sound similar musically – a criticism often made by his detractors – the songs are all very diverse lyrically. Sometimes you can't tell exactly what he's talking about, and that's okay, because it's so cleverly worded that you just go with it and don't ask too many questions. Most of the time, though, it's pretty clear what he's talking about.

One thing that Owl City is not ashamed to include in his music – even though he's often considered mainstream pop – is frequent references to his Christian faith. The ways in which he incorporates his beliefs into his lyrics are usually subtle, but they're hard to mistake for anything else. Critics also point this out as a reason for not liking his music. I, on the other hand, think it's probably the best thing about his music.

Below are some of my favorite lyrics from Owl City's songs. Hope you'll enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy listening to them.


"Take me above your light
Carry me through the night
Hold me secure in flight
Sing me to sleep tonight..."
~ "Hello Seattle"


"I am floating away
Lost in a silent ballet
I'm dreaming you're out in the blue
And I am right beside you
Awake to take in the view.
Late nights and early parades
Still photos and noisy arcades
My darling, we're both on the wing
Look down, and keep on singing!
And we can go anywhere..."
"On The Wing"


"Street lights glisten on the boulevard
And cold nights make staying alert so hard.
For heaven's sake, keep me awake
So I won't be caught off guard.
Clearly I am a passerby
But I'll find a place to stay..."
~ "Rainbow Veins"


"(Time together is never quite enough)
When you and I are alone
I've never felt so alone
(What will it take to make or break this hint of love?)
We need time, only time.
(When we're apart, whatever are you thinking of?)
If this is what I call home
Why does it feel so alone?
(So tell me darling, do you wish we'd fall in love?)
All the time, all the time..."
~ "The Saltwater Room"


"I'm just a show, as far as I can tell..."
~ "Air Traffic"


"I regarded the world as such a sad sight
Until I viewed it in black and white.
Then I reviewed every frame and basic shape
And sealed the exits with caution tape.
Don't refocus your eyes in the darkness
And don't remember this place unless
I describe all the things that you cannot see.
And we'll unravel the mystery..."
~ "Dear Vienna"


"When you wake up on your own
Look around you, 'cause you're not alone.
Let your hopes go and they'll survive
'Cause this is the future, and you are alive.
You're headed home..."
~ "This Is The Future"


"If the bombs go off, the sun will still be shining
Because I've heard it said
That every mushroom cloud has a silver lining
Though I'm always under mining, too deep to know..."
~ "Cave In"


"I just don't foresee myself getting drowsy
When cold integrity keeps me wide awake..."
~ "Cave In"


"I'll keep my helmet on
Just in case my head caves in
'Cause if my thoughts collapse
Or my framework snaps
It'll make a mess like you wouldn't believe.
Tie my handlebars to the stars
So I stay on track.
And if my intentions stray
I'll wrench them away
Then I'll take my leave
And I won't even look back..."
~ "Cave In"


"Home will always be here
Unseen, out of sight
Where I disappear and hide.
I think dreamy things
As I'm waving goodbye
So I'll spread out my wings
And fly..."
~ "Umbrella Beach"


"I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights..."
~ "Dental Care"


"I've been to the dentist a thousand times, so I know the drill..."
~ "Dental Care"


"When hygienists leave on long vacations
That's when dentists scream and
Lose their patience (patients)..."
~ "Dental Care"


"Talking only brings the toothaches on
Because I say the stupidest things.
So if my resolve goes south
I'll swallow my pride with an aspirin
And shut my mouth..."
~ "Dental Care"


"I can finally see
That You're right there beside me.
I am not my own
For I have been made new.
Please don't let me go
I desperately need You..."
~ "Meteor Shower"


"I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly.
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep.
'Cause everything is never as it seems..."
~ "Fireflies"


"If speed's a pro, inertia must be a con
'Cuz the cold wind blows at precise rates
When I've got my ice skates on..."
~ "The Tip Of The Iceberg"


"I'll travel the sub-zero tundra
I'll brave glaciers and frozen lakes.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg –
I'll do whatever it takes
To change..."
~ "The Tip Of The Iceberg"


"The stars lean down to kiss you
And I lie awake and miss you.
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere.
'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly
But I'll miss your arms around me.
I'll send a postcard to you, dear
'Cause I wish you were here..."
~ "Vanilla Twilight"


"I'll watch the night turn light blue
But it's not the same without you
Because it takes two to whisper quietly.
The silence isn't so bad
Till I look at my hands and feel sad
'Cause the spaces between my fingers
Are right where yours fit perfectly..."
~ "Vanilla Twilight"


"I'll find repose in new ways
Though I haven't slept in two days
'Cause cold nostalgia chills me to the bone.
But drenched in vanilla twilight
I'll sit on the front porch all night
Waist-deep in thought, because
When I think of you, I don't feel so alone..."
~ "Vanilla Twilight"


"As many times as I blink
I'll think of you tonight..."
~ "Vanilla Twilight"


"When violet eyes get brighter
And heavy wings grow lighter
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again.
And I'll forget the world that I knew
But I swear I won't forget you.
Oh, if my voice could reach back through the past
I'd whisper in your ear:
'Oh, darling, I wish you were here'..."
~ "Vanilla Twilight"


"I wish I could cross my arms
And cross your mind
'Cause I believe
You'd unfold your paper heart
And wear it on your sleeve.
All my life I wish I broke mirrors
Instead of promises
'Cause all I see
Is a shattered conscience
Staring right back at me..."
~ "Tidal Wave"


"Lift your arms, only Heaven knows
Where the danger grows
And it's safe to say
There's a bright light up ahead
And help is on the way..."
~ "Tidal Wave"


"I forget the last time I felt brave
(I just recall insecurity)
'Cause it came down like a tidal wave
(And sorrow swept over me)
Then I was given grace and love
(I was blind, but now I can see)
'Cause I found a new hope from above
And courage swept over me..."
~ "Tidal Wave"


"It hurts just to wake up
Whenever you're wearing thin
Alone on the outside
So tired of looking in.
The end is uncertain
And I've never been so afraid.
But I don't need a telescope
To see that there's hope
And that makes me feel brave..."
~ "Tidal Wave"


"Reality is a lovely place
But I wouldn't want to live there..."
~ "The Real World"


"It's suffocating to say
But the female mystique takes my breath away
So give me a smile or give me a sneer
'Cause I'm trying to guess here..."
~ "Deer In The Headlights"


"Living close to the ground
Is seventh heaven
'Cause there are angels all around.
Among my frivolous thoughts
I believe there are beautiful things
Seen by the astronauts.
The indications revealed
That few of us realize life is quite surreal.
So if you're dying to see
I guarantee there are angels
Around your vicinity..."
~ "Angels"


"I keep my knees black and blue
Because they often hit the hardwood floor.
And I believe, so I'm not
Praying to the ceiling anymore..."
~ "Angels"


"Don't remind me
That some days I'm a windshield
And other days I'm just a lucky bug..."
~ "Honey And The Bee"


"My captain on the snowy horse
He's coming back to take me home.
He'll find me fighting back the terrible thwarts
'Cause I'm not afraid to die alone..."
~ "Kamikaze"


"Dear God, I was terribly lost
When the galaxies crossed and the sun went dark.
Dear God, You're the only North Star
I would follow this far..."
~ "Galaxies"


"Oh, telescope, keep an eye on my only hope
Lest I blink and get swept off the narrow road
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the galaxies..."
~ "Galaxies"


"A high-speed collision gave a new sense of sight to me
And now my vision can render the scene –
A blurry image of wreckage and roadside debris.
Happiness returned to me through a grave emergency..."
~ "Hospital Flowers"


"The curtains decayed – the daylight poured in
I was never afraid of the darkness again.
My burns were third-degree – but I'd been set free
'Cause grace had finally found its way to me..."
~ "Hospital Flowers"


"I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heartstrings
Would you strum on mine?"
~ "Plant Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment