Monday, July 9, 2012

10 Things I DON'T Find Fascinating


1)  GOLF:  I have no interest in playing golf, watching it being played on television or in person, or even watching highlights of it on SportsCenter.




2)  KNITTING:  I think it's great that people are able to knit, and even to do so very well. I have a couple of friends who do. But I have no personal interest in knitting whatsoever, and I probably never will.




3)  MOTORCYCLES:  I have no desire to ride a motorcycle. I don't enjoy watching people race motorcycles. When a motorcycle passes by me on the road, I don't crane my neck toward it and say, "Wow!" I turn my head away and grumble, "Too loud!"




4)  ANIME:  I don't "get" the anime cartoons – I just can't seem to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy them. I also don't like reading books from right to left ("manga" books are often printed this way).




5)  DESIGNER CLOTHING:  I recognize that oftentimes "designer" clothing and/or footwear is actually of higher quality than the generic (aka "cheap") stuff you can find at any department store, but I just don't care. If you were to ever ask me the inane question – "WHO are you wearing?" – I probably wouldn't even know. If I did know, the answer would probably be "Target" (and I wouldn't pronounce it "Tar-ZHAY" either).




6)  WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD OF MY CAR:  I couldn't care less whether what I'm driving has a V-6, a Hemi, or whatever else kind of engine. I don't understand it, and I don't really want to. I think it's great that other guys (and ladies) are so well-informed about and fascinated by things such as carburetors and fuel injection, but I'm just not one of them.




7)  CELEBRITY GOSSIP:  Everybody famous seems to be doing something scandalous (or having scandalous done to them) at any given time. I could waste hours and hours of my time trying to keep up with who's divorcing whom, who's having a kid, and who's "getting the axe" on what show. Or I could not give a rip and be blissfully ignorant. I choose the latter.




8)  GADGETS:  If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not a tech-savvy kind of person. I just joined the e-book revolution this past fall. We bought our first laptop computer earlier this year. Our stereo at home has a cassette player on it. The tiny little iPod that we have doesn't even hold a gigabyte worth of songs. Also, we're not quite sure where the thing is. My cell phone makes and receives calls and texts, takes grainy photos, and does absolutely nothing else. So, I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep if I don't have the "latest and greatest" gadgets. If I had unlimited resources, maybe that would be different. But I just don't see the point in putting what little "disposable" income I have into fancy-schmancy electronics that are just going to be replaced by something "bigger and better" next season.




9)  FABRIC/CRAFT STORES:  This one could kind of go along with the knitting one earlier, but I felt the need to clarify that my lack of fascination with crafty stuff is far more widespread than just knitting. My wife dabbles in scrapbooking and other craft-making from time to time, and I'm glad she likes it – I really am. I'm just not that interested in doing it myself, and I'm especially not interested in spending lengthy amounts of time in stores shopping for materials and supplies. Fortunately, my wife doesn't ask me to go with her to these stores too often, and I almost never complain when we do go together.




10)  JUSTIN BIEBER:  I really don't get Bieber's appeal, and I likely never will. Okay, so girls think he's cute. That's all well and good. But he's a guy, and when he sings he sounds like a little girl. Not what I want to hear when I turn on my radio, stereo, or that iPod thingie. All of y'all Bieber Fever folks can have him, but I think I'll pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment