Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Childhood Memories: My Favorite Music Circa 1995

Okay, so I was 17 that year, and almost not a child anymore. Let's not get weighed down in technicalities. I've been thinking a lot lately about the music I was listening to when I was a teenager, right around the time I graduated high school and started college. As this playlist will attest, I was very much into grunge and alternative rock music, which was starting to cross over from the underground to the mainstream. I was also, curiously enough, into more groups with male lead vocalists, which is a total contrast to my preferences these days.

If you happened to grow up around this same time, and you were into the music that was popular at the time, and/or if you ever watched MTV back in the day (this is when they actually played music videos, not just dumb reality shows), you might recognize a few of -- or all of -- these songs. If not, you'll at least get a glimpse of what I was listening to at that time.

I don't really listen to most of these groups anymore -- a few of them I still like, but don't really buy their music. Some of the bands are no longer around, and some are still going strong. Some band members have long since died, most in tragic circumstances or by their own hands. But here they are nonetheless, preserved in all their grungy glory. Enjoy!




1)  Smashing Pumpkins ~ "Disarm"








2)  Weezer ~ "Buddy Holly"








3)  Live ~ "Lightning Crashes"








4)  Green Day ~ "When I Come Around"








5)  Nirvana ~ "Smells Like Teen Spirit"








6)  Pearl Jam ~ "Alive"








7)  Blind Melon ~ "No Rain"








8)  The Presidents Of The United States Of America ~ "Lump"






9)  Stone Temple Pilots ~ "Vasoline"








10)  Collective Soul ~ "Shine"








11)  Counting Crows ~ "Round Here"








12)  Soundgarden ~ "Black Hole Sun"









13)  Bush ~ "Glycerine"








14)  Everclear ~ "Santa Monica"








15)  Alanis Morissette ~ "Ironic"



No comments:

Post a Comment