Monday, July 16, 2012

"Resistance Is Not Futile," "Sibling Revelry," And "Dubious Cure-All": Three Oddball Drabbles


Time to take another walk on the weird side! My drabble skills are still developing, but I think I'm getting the hang of it little piece by little piece. Hope you'll enjoy these 100-word short-shorts...


"RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE"


There was no way I was going to let her get the best of me. She knew all the right buttons to push to drive me absolutely batty, but I was pushing right back. She tried pestering me, but I sprayed her with Raid. She tried needling me, but she couldn't find the veins. She tried nagging me, and I told her to quit horsing around. This time I will call the shots – eight ball in the corner pocket, and leave me alone. I am my own person – I call myself "me." And there's nothing she can do about it.



"SIBLING REVELRY"

"Trespassing? How can I be trespassing when this is my house, too?" I yelled. "Stop yelling!" he yelled. "Why should I?" I cried. "You crybaby!" he cried. "Oh, brother!" I sighed. "Yes? What is it?" he asked. "I wasn't talking to you," I replied. "You said, 'Oh, brother!'" he countered. "Yes, but I was exclaiming, not entreating," I explained. "Well, how am I supposed to know the difference?" he hissed. "You're such a snake," I accused. "Look who's talking!" he replied. "We both are," I pointed out. "Oh, yeah," he said. "Just let me inside," I pleaded. "Now?" he stalled.



"DUBIOUS CURE-ALL"

"Somehow, I don't think green beans are the answer to all my problems," she sniffled. I placed my hand on her shoulder, patted her six times very quickly, and looked into her ear (she refused to look me in the eye). "How do you know until you've tried?" I whispered. "But, green beans?" she said, and I could've sworn she arched her ear inquisitively at me. "Some people find them to be very therapeutic," I offered. "What's the worst that could happen?" I continued. "Nutrition," she sighed. "And is that so bad, really?" I said. She rolled her ear derisively.

No comments:

Post a Comment