Saturday, July 21, 2012

"You Never Know," "Duking It Out," And "Despair": Three More Unusual Drabbles


More 100-word short stories from me to you. These are a bit darker than my usual pieces, but I still like them anyway. I hope you will too...



"YOU NEVER KNOW"

"Daddy, why do you keep a pack of matches in your pocket if you don't smoke?" The father glanced  at his little boy, smiled vaguely, and replied, "Because you never know, son." The boy looked understandably confused. "You never know what, Daddy?" Sighing softly, the father sank to his knees, and looked his son in the eyes. "Because you never know when you might have to set somebody on fire, son." The boy's eyes grew wide, tears forming at the corners, and his jaw dropped. "But why would you do that, Daddy?" the boy asked. "It's complicated," replied the father.



"DUKING IT OUT"

It would never work. Two power-hungry people both vying for the same promotion, working in the same office, day in and day out. Someone would end up dead at worst, or crippled at least. The world-weary supervisor knew he had to separate them. Violence is often the answer, he mused, but not in my department! He knew if he could just get them in the ring, then they could fight it out like men. A duel to the death, last man standing, no holds barred. But how could he ever convince them to fight? Gotta love office politics.



"DESPAIR"

I needed to scream, but couldn't make a sound. I opened my mouth, willing myself to cry out, but all I heard was silence. It was at that moment that I realized I couldn't move my arms or my legs. I needed to run, to get away, but I was stuck in this spot. The horrific images racing before my eyes compelled me to look away. But my neck was immobile, just like the rest of me. I felt hot tears beginning to trickle from my burning eyes. At least some part of me was working. Then everything went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment