Friday, September 21, 2012

Words I Wish I Wrote: Quotes About Sons And Boys


I'm sure that in the coming weeks, months, and years I'll be doing plenty of writing in my own words related to my son – but for now, while it's all still sinking in, I'll fall back on the words of others. If you have a son or have had one (or have been one), I'm sure you'll find much to relate to here. Enjoy!


1)  "Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid – one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory."  ~  Douglas MacArthur


2)  "A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be. A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be."  ~  Frank Howard Clark


3)  "A man's desire for a son is usually nothing but the wish to duplicate himself in order that such a remarkable pattern may not be lost to the world."  ~  Helen Rowland


4)  "The sooner you treat your son as a man, the sooner he will be one."  ~  John Dryden


5)  "A good father believes that he does wisely to encourage enterprise, productive skill, prudent self-denial, and judicious expenditure on the part of his son."  ~  William Graham Sumner


6)  "Becoming a dad means you have to be a role model for your son and be someone he can look up to."  ~  Wayne Rooney


7)  "Don't wait to make your son a great man – make him a great boy."  ~  Author Unknown


8)  "When you teach your son, you teach your son's son."  ~  The Talmud


9)  "He who can be a good son will be a good father."  ~  Author Unknown


10)  "Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable."  ~  Plato


11)  "A boy is a magical creature – you can lock him out of your workshop, but you can’t lock him out of your heart. You can get him out of your study, but you can’t get him out of your mind. Might as well give up – he is your captor, your jailer, your boss and your master – a freckled-faced, pint-sized, cat-chasing bundle of noise. But when you come home at night with only the shattered pieces of your hopes and dreams, he can mend them like new with two magic words – 'Hi, Dad!'"  ~  Alan Beck


12)  "Between the innocence of babyhood and the dignity of manhood, we find a delightful creature of a boy."  ~  Author Unknown


13)  "Boys are meant for kisses and hugs, for watching rainbows and catching bugs, for sharing all of your favorite things, for books to read and songs to sing."  ~  Author Unknown


14)  "If I have a monument in this world, it is my son."  ~  Maya Angelou 


15)  "It is a wise father that knows his own son."  ~  William Shakespeare


16)  "My son, watching you grow has been the delight of my life. I look at you and wonder what dreams you will dream, what mountains you will climb, what joys you will have. I know there will be tears and struggles as well, but my prayer is that you will grow into the man you are meant to be."  ~  Author Unknown


17)  "Our very own son, born not from our flesh, but born in our hearts, You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start. Conceived from a blessing sent straight from above, our very own son at last home to love."  ~  Author Unknown


18)  "Twinkle, twinkle, little boy, how you fill my heart with joy."  ~  Melissa Kelsey


19)  "What I see is just a glimpse of the man you'll be"  ~  Susan Bales Dupre


20)  "A boy is trust with dirt on its face, beauty with a cut on its finger, wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."  ~  Author Unknown


21)  "Nobody knows what a boy is worth, we’ll have to wait and see – but every man in a noble place, a boy once used to be."  ~  Author Unknown


22)  "One small son to hug good night, one small son to grow up right, one small son with love to give, one small son to have fun with."  ~  Author Unknown


23)  "A wee bit of heaven drifted down from above. A handful of happiness, a heart full of love. The mystery of life, so sacred and sweet. The giver of joy, so deep and complete. Precious and priceless, so lovable, too. The world's sweetest miracle, baby, is you."  ~  Helen Steiner Rice


24)  "My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes delight in my ways."  ~  Proverbs 23:26


25)  "Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt."  ~  Proverbs 27:11

No comments:

Post a Comment