So, I was cleaning out my bookbag (which I take with me practically everywhere) for the first time in a long time the other day, and these were some of the more interesting things I found in there...
1) An Almost Empty Bottle Of TUMS: I guess I've been a bit acid-y of late. Ooh, and look – it's over a year past its expiration date. Nice!
2) An Empty Box Of Nasonex: I put this in my bag a couple of months ago to remind myself to call in a refill on my prescription. I still haven't called. And I wonder why my breathing and allergies have been awful of late!
3) An Unopened Tube Of Blistex: As I write this, my lips are chapped, and I have absolutely no excuse!
4) A Mostly Clean Spoon: I have no idea when I used this last – probably for lunch one day, but that could have been months ago for all I remember.
5) A Shiny New Quarter: I could have used this last week when I was a quarter short of being able to buy a Mountain Dew out of the machine. Oh well, I need to cut down on my soda intake anyway.
6) A Young Fiyah "Fiyahworks" CD: I ordered this directly from the artist (he's a Christian rapper who I'm "friends" with on Facebook) a few weeks ago, listened to it a few times, then assumed I'd lost it. But there it was all along. Yay!
7) Fourteen Blank Note Pads: Most of these I've taken from hotels where we've stayed – you're supposed to take them, right? I'm surprised there were only fourteen of them, to be quite honest.
8) A Wednesday Night Church Bulletin From Late August: There were actually several of these in my bag, but this was the oldest of the lot.
9) A List Of Titles I Brainstormed For Possible Future Stories: Some of these have potential, I suppose, while others are just bizarre. I mean, really, how interesting can a story called "Matching Socks" possibly be?
10) A Tattered Receipt From A Bill When We Renewed Our Better Homes And Gardens Subscription: You can see from the date that I paid it in early February. And yet, we're still not living in a Better Home and we still don't have a Garden to speak of. I think I should ask for my money back.
11) A Page Of Notes I Took During An Easter Drama Rehearsal: Must have been a pretty good run-through, as evidenced by my note two-thirds of the way down the page: "I'm not taking any notes 'cuz I'm too busy enjoying this scene – good work, everyone! Just work on the dropped lines here & throughout & you'll be all good!"
12) A Mostly Empty Package Of Chewing Gum: I have no idea how old this is, but I'm not taking any chances. To the trash it goes...
13) My Spare Cell Phone Charger: Fortunately, my regular cell phone charger hasn't given out yet, so I didn't need this one. But at least I know where it is now if I do need it.
14) An Old Grocery List: Ah, I remember it fondly. We ate like royalty that week. Well, like royalty on a much tighter budget. Okay, not exactly like royalty at all. But it sure tasted good.
15) A Retro-Style Pencil Case: We bought this "Mr. Bump" pencil case for me to corral my many pens and pencils securely in one place inside my bookbag. I guess I forgot to actually put it to work, because it was empty when I found it.
16) Approximately Forty-Five Pens And Pencils: Speaking of all those writing utensils, here they are. About a third of these are now safely ensconced in the above-pictured pencil case. The others are tucked away in a zippered pocket where they can't fall out.
17) A 2011-2012 Carolina Hurricanes Schedule: We never went to any of the games. Probably because I'd lost this and we didn't know when they were playing. Also, probably because my wife hates hockey, and I only like it a little bit, and then only in person and never on television.
18) A Ticket Stub For The Casting Crowns Concert We Went To In March: If memory serves me, this was at the then-named RBC Center in Raleigh. The opening acts were Lindsay McCaul, Royal Tailor, and Matthew West. Casting Crowns played a lot of songs from their new album, Come To The Well. It was great!
19) A Donation Receipt From The Salvation Army: Apparently, there were so many things in this batch that I had to attach a list. Just one of the many Salvation Army runs I made earlier this year as we were trying to de-clutter in preparation to sell our house (which still hasn't sold, but we're hopeful).
20) A Folder Tab That Reads "Yaktrax/Little Hotties": I'm not sure where this came from, but if I had to guess, I would say from some folder at my work. I believe Yaktrax is a brand of cold-weather boots, and Little Hotties is a brand of hand-and-foot-warming products, both of which I have written about in the past. The tab must have fallen off a folder and into my open bookbag at some point. Might as well get rid of it – I think it would only serve to confuse my wife and anyone else who might happen to find it in my bag.