Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Things I Find Fascinating: The Proper Names Of Hats

Hats are everywhere. Hats of all shapes, sizes, colors, and styles. Most of the time we don't even notice them. Sometimes we do. What do we call them? Usually, just "hats." But every kind of hat you can imagine has a proper name, one that we very rarely use to describe it. I thought it would be interesting to find out what some familiar (and some more obscure) hats are actually supposed to be called. And it was interesting. Very interesting. So I thought I would share my findings with you, dear Blog Reader, in the hopes that you will find this interesting as well. If not, then at least I've learned something new myself. Enjoy!


TRICORNE HAT



 TRILBY HAT



 TURBAN



VISOR



 YARMULKE



BASEBALL CAP



BICORNE HAT



 BERET



BIRETTA



BONNET



BOWLER (aka DERBY HAT)



ENGLISH DRIVING CAP



CHEF'S HAT



FEZ



COWBOY HAT



 TAM O'SHANTER



FEDORA



 JOCKEY HAT



HELMET



PHRYGIAN CAP



KUFI



PILLBOX HAT



NIGHT CAP



MORTARBOARD



PANAMA HAT



BRETON HAT



STOVEPIPE HAT



CAVALIER HAT



PITH HELMET



CLOCHE HAT



DEERSTALKER HAT



COOLIE HAT



PURITAN HAT



RASTAFARIAN HAT



SMOKING CAP



SOMBRERO

3 comments:

  1. amazing list really enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was researching the correct name for the Indiana Jones hat on your blog when I stumbled across a photo of my girlfriend wearing the Tam O'Shanter between John Wayne and Harrison Ford!!! Small world, thanks for making us smile. Joe and Roberta :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world, indeed! I guess you never know where a publicly shared picture will end up! P.S. Please let me know if you want me to remove it. I just found it in Google Images and added it from there.

      Delete