Saturday, December 22, 2012

Things I Find Fascinating: Christmas Commercials From The '70s and '80s

Not much preamble is necessary here. Just a collection of Christmas-themed TV commercials from the 1970s and 1980s. If you're old enough, you might even remember a few of these (I am, and I do!). If you're not, you might still get something out of them. Enjoy!



1)  Weber Grills  (This one's kinda creepy!)




2)  Underoos  (Kids in their underwear? This ad would never pass muster in this day and age.)





3)  Burger King  (Sharp eyes might recognize Lea Thompson and Elisabeth Shue from the BACK TO THE FUTURE movies here as well as a very young Sarah Michelle Gellar from the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER TV series)




4)  AVON  (The British version, apparently)




5)  Electronic Football  (Weirdsville...)




6)  L.A. Gear  (It isn't hard to spot a young Jennifer Love Hewitt here [from PARTY OF FIVE and THE GHOST WHISPERER fame]...it seems her acting skills have improved a lot since then)




7)  Christmas Crunch Cereal  (I didn't even know they made this! I was 11 years old when this came out -- I would've eaten the heck out of that!)




8)  Toys 'R' Us  (Do they still feature Geoffrey the Giraffe in Toys 'R' Us commercials? 'Cuz I always loved that character!)




9)  Target  (I never got a Nintendo when I was a kid. But I'm not bitter...)





10)  Sears  (Cool stereo...with cassette player, no less!)




11)  Pepsi  (The Super Mario version, apparently)





12)  Folger's Coffee  (This one's a bona-fide classic...they played it for years at Christmastime)




13)  Polaroid  (These kids are smart, but Santa's smarter!)




14)  McDonald's  (Nothing says Christmas like ice skating with a clown!)





15)  Nabisco Oreos  (This is a classic, too, that I remember very well)

No comments:

Post a Comment