Monday, June 8, 2015

Story #6: "The Boogie Man"


Part of my #astoryaday June Writing Challenge, here's a short, but (IMHO) amusing vignette I plotted out over the weekend, but didn't write till today. Enjoy?  ~  JH



"The Boogie Man"

I like to move it, move it. Dancing is in my blood. Any style, any beat, anytime, anyplace. Play me a song and I will dance to it. 

Admittedly, it's not a pretty sight. I am bald, I am overweight, I am white, and I am a terrible dancer. But I don't let these little details get in the way of my having a good time. 

I have danced on planks to the fluid sounds of reggae on the shores of Jamaica. I have danced with Zulu warriors in southern Africa. I have waltzed with royalty in the United Kingdom. I have twerked to Ke$ha at The Spot downtown. 

Sure, I have heard the boos and hisses of disapproval from the masses, practically every time I get my groove on. I have endured being thrown out of not one, not two, but thirty-five different establishments for rashly committing collective buzzkill. But I simply do not care. 

I will dance until the day I die, and then I will dance on the other side. I dance because I must. Because I can't not. 

I am the Boogie Man, this is my world, and you are welcome in it. May I have this dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment